Blocks and blocks and blocks

A few of the latest blocks I have been making behind the scenes.  Month two in the Amitie BOM Gypsy Wife quilt was this block.  I played around with the colours q bit and actually ended up with a less interesting block than the original block we were supposed to make but I like it all the same and I adore that background orange scribbly fabric.

  Amitie BOM the gypsy wife 

In a bee I'm in called Stash Trad Bee, where we make traditional blocks from our own stashes, Elizabeth Don't Call Me Betsy asked for this radiant ring block (tutorial here).  I used a Cosmo Cricket circa 1934 green dot (the red, yellow, black and green dots from this line are close to dotty fabric perfection for me) as well as some of my trusty Etchings Wovens and a map print which Gayle sent me last summer. 

For Elizabeth Dont Call me Betsy 

The free bee I am in works along the same lines in that we make blocks from our stash but these are all improv / free pieced blocks so I have to use the other side of my brain which I'm not very good at.  Ethne Flaming Stitches asked for improv equilateral triangles which sounds like an oxymoron to me (get me, fancy words).  I used my favourite Oakshott colour (OK I have a few favourite Oakshott colours...) which is called I think midnight and is in real life a really inky blacky midnighty blue, together with some sunsetty colours. Fun block to make and I hope Ethne gets well soon as she has been unwell for a few days after a contretemps with one of her dogs. 


Oakshott improv triangle for Ethne

And this block is for Amy During Quiet Time and is just the kind of block I love making, teensy little HSTs.  Once again, Etchings features in the centre of this block and in some of the tiny HSTs and there are a few classic B+W prints in there including Annie's Farm Stand, Hope Valley, American Vintage and Circa 1934.  The background is a Natural Essex Linen from Simply Solids.

Paris block for Amy

Comments

  1. Gorgeous blocks! I love that fabulous triangle :)
    Thanks for the mention of Krista's blog, she's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice blocks, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant blocks Lynne, especially love the last two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely blocks, love the wonky triangle, but adore the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He, he, he. Love your blocks.

    The last one..."The geese flew over Paris" and left it a little poo'd on. Must the the breakfast cereal talking. But it made me laugh. It is a gorgeous block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blocks are all lovely and such nice fabric choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blocks are so sweet. I really like the last one a lot.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thank you so much for the link to the Radient Ring tutorial. I've always wanted to do that block in paper piecing, especially the 12" size.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blocks. What is the "background scribbly orange print"? It is fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy..It's looking good. Thanks for the heads up about Krista's blog..her quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes...what is the "scribbly orange print"?! I saw this in the thumbnail and thought oh...lynne has found a great old plaid and come to find you found a great newfangled plaid!:)

    The triangle block has some great movement...good job on using the "other side" of your brain!:)

    Off to see Krista's new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teensy HST blocks are just the kind I don`t like making but I love your oxymoron improv.triangles soooooo much and that orange scribbly fabric is gorgeous and feels very `50s. What is it? I may `need` some. Will pop over and see Krista now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous blocks, I especially love the ring block and the triangle! Off to find Krista's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thought it was about time you did some not-secret sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blocks --- all of them! Thanks for the note on Krista's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, I'm hoping your giddy Aunt will pop over I've heard so much about her I feel I know her! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)